Saturday, August 30, 2014

Mini-Portfolio

Greetings~  My name is Dasair Glaspie, I am currently a student at San Jose State University, and my majors, Philosophy and Animation / Illustration, exemplify a selection of my interests.  I most enjoy character design and exploring the dynamics of world-building in my work, both written and drawn, with the digital side of things being my preferred medium.  While I have a greater inclination for illustration, movement and energy have always been interests of mine, especially in figuring out just how to capture it in a drawing.  


 This is some personal work of mine, a character of my own devising named Xsaiav'lairnn Mystrif.  His name is completely ridiculous, though it suits him, being a fanatic for puzzles and riddles; he quite enjoys seeing people lost or confused, and won't pass up a chance to get them there.

This is a digital still-life painting of a book, a desk, and a sphere.  It helped me focus on edges, shadows, and graphic composition of real objects.   

This was actually a spread for a zine done in ANI 116 called The Void.  The theme of the book was 'The Call of the Void', which is the phrase for these strange, intrusive thoughts one might get suddenly, yet are typically ignored.  An example of such a thought might be standing up on something quite high, and wondering what it would be like to jump, yet never quite taking that leap.  My image was based on the concept of unknown consequences and untaken risks that continue to hold on to people to asking 'what if?'

A Raiju character created for the ANI 117B class in concept art.  The Raiju is a creature in japanese mythology that is supposed to be made of or connected to lightning, that jumps around trees and buildings, excited by a storm.


This is my final 115 animation, called Your Number is Up.  In it, an older fellow is getting ready for a night out to a Bingo game, but instead gets an unexpected visitor. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment